Privatization of alcohol industry
Ukraine is preparing its alcohol industry for privatization. Throughout the country’s history, this industry was a state monopoly, and until recently, only two countries worldwide (Belarus also) did not hand over this production sphere into private hands. As a result, currently the plants produce less and earn less than they could have.
The state will put up for sale 41 OPs that are part of “UKRSPYRT” state-owned enterprise, and 37 more plants that is included into “UKRSPYRT” Concern (group of companies). Operating Locations (OPs, МПД) are places of production activities and storage of alcohol of SOE “UKRSPYRT” is provided. Because each such object (plant) is not a legal entity per se, an OP is, in fact, a group of separate property, including buildings, equipment, movable property, etc., that is capable of providing a full production cycle.
What products are manufactured in Ukraine
Alcohol production industry is one of the key ones in the economy. Over 150 different production areas depend on it. We are talking not just about spirit and alcohol for nutritional and medical use. This industry is an important component of the fuel and energy sector: it produces bioethanol and its derivative additives.
Ukrainian distilling plants produce rectified ethyl and denatured alcohol,raw material for sanitizer and antiseptic production, bioethanol, raw ethyl alcohol, main fraction of ethyl alcohol, fusel alcohol and carbon dioxide.
Also, Ukrainian plants are equipped with facilities for production of spirits and liquor beverages, so, as contractors, they are able to produce the most high-quality alcohol beverages.
What are the advantages of Ukrainian alcohol industry
- Production capacities and professionals
OPs of SOE “UKRSPYRT” (41 production sites nationwide) are capable of producing over 36 million decaliters annually. Their employees are professionals, including the best experts of the area.
- Outlet markets
Ukrainian products enjoy high demand in Central Asia, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Austria, Poland, Vietnam, Hungary, Slovakia and other countries. The plans for the nearest future include rapid expansion of geographical coverage.
At SOE “UKRSPYRT”, there is a quality management, safety and environmental control system, implemented and certified: ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 22000, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points.
The alcohol industry has a specific particular feature: alcohol can be produced from many types of raw materials. For instance, from the grain that is unusable for consumption and forage purposes, and from sugar production waste – molasses.
Since 2016, “UKRSPYRT” has switched to a digital procurement system, which guarantees a transparent and high-quality cooperation procedure.
“UKRSPYRT” cooperates with the largest Ukrainian and international transporting companies.
Some of the distilling plants that have communications facilities (and at some plants, even railways) connected to them, might be used as production sites that are conveniently located in agricultural regions, or as grain elevators.
Meanwhile, the objects that need to be disestablished, can seem interesting to the investors, because based on their infrastructure, it is possible to create the logistics centers, trade objects, and various production facilities.
Bonuses from the state
Ukraine has significantly liberalized the activity in the sphere of alcohol production and market circulation. The new rules entered into force on July 1st, 2020.
In particular, companies can already receive a license for the production and export of alcohol. Complete opening of the market will take place in several stages:
- In order to start producing alcohol before July 1st, 2021, the investor will have to buy a state-owned plant at a transparent bidding auction.
- Construction permits and permits for commissioning of alcohol distilling plants will be issued only from July 1st, 2021.
- In its turn, the state will protect the investors’ businesses, by limiting the import of alcohol until 2024.
Regulatory documents on the alcohol industry reform:
Alcohol objects privatization map
Terms of privatization
How to invest in alcohol industry
Answers to frequently asked questions:
- How to participate in an auction?
- Who can be a buyer?
- How to find complete information about alcohol industry objects?
- In what format are distilling plants privatized, what is an Operating Location?
- What can be produced at a distilling plant?
- How is the starting price of the object determined?
- How to get a license for the production of alcohol and alcohol beverages?
- What happens to the land after the sale?
Objects are sold at ProZorro.Sales electronic auction platform only. In order to participate in an auction and become an owner of privatization object, one needs to perform 7 steps:
- Get familiar with the list of objects on this website, on the ProZorro.Sales site or at the sites of authorized marketplaces.
- Select an object and study the information about it.
- Register on any of the dozens of marketplaces connected to ProZorro.Sales system.
- Apply for participation in an auction through a personal account on a marketplace site.
- Participate in an auction and win.
- Pass the qualification.
- Sign a contract and pay for the object.
More details: on “How to buy” webpage.
Anyone can be an investor – both individuals and legal entities, both residents and non-residents. There is a specific ban for investors related to the aggressor state or subjects to sanctions. There is also a ban on offshore investments without a transparent ownership structure.
Information about objects is posted on this website (see “Alcohol industry” catalogue), on ProZorro.Sales website, on the websites of authorized marketplaces.
For more information about the object, there are virtual data rooms. These are storage locations of all documents that are available concerning the object – from technical passports to ownership titles and photographs. Their main purpose is to simplify access to information, eliminate corruption during receipt of those documents and enhance the transparency of the privatization process.
If you still have questions after this, each object has a contact person responsible for privatization preparation, as well as a person responsible for physical access to the facility. Information about these people is available at the object’s webpage.
For more information on accessing data rooms, see “How to Buy” webpage.
Operating Locations (OPs, МПД) are places of production activities and storage of alcohol of SOE “UKRSPYRT” is provided. Because each such object (plant) is not a legal entity per se, an OP is, in fact, a group of separate property, including buildings, equipment, movable property, etc., that is capable of providing a full production cycle.
The plant can simultaneously produce one of the following types of alcohol:
- Non-denatured ethyl alcohol (simultaneously, a plant can produce any ethyl alcohol without the content of denaturing additives: rectified (food) alcohol, technical alcohol, raw alcohol) and products that contain it: alcohol spirit and liquor beverages, alcohol vinegar).
- Denatured ethyl alcohol and products based on it: detergents, dissolvents, antiseptics, perfumes and cosmetics products, etc.
- Bioethanol and its raw material (raw materials for bioethanol), biofuels.
By-products of alcohol production are biogas, protein forage products and carbon dioxide.
According to the law, the starting price is formed at the level of book value (for joint-stock companies – at the level of nominal value of shares). However, if the work on information disclosure and preparation for privatization was performed correctly, a competition at an auction always forms a fair market price of an object.
Licenses for the production of alcohol beverages (spirits and liquors) can be obtained by enterprises of any form of ownership.
Obtaining a license for the right to alcohol wholesale costs UAH 500,000 annually, and is issued within 10 days.
Obtaining a license for the production of alcohol takes no more than 30 days from the application date and requires an annual fee of UAH 780.
More details: on “How to get a license” webpage.
Privatization objects are sold without land. According to the legislation, an owner of an object on this land plot has the primary right to register this land plot.